Regarding liquid nitrogen, although more and more widely used, we ordinary people have begun to contact liquid nitrogen-related items. So can liquid nitrogen be in direct contact with food? Will no toxic substances be produced after contact with food?
In fact, the temperature of liquid nitrogen is about minus 80 degrees Celsius, and we generally use it to store human cell specimens, which can keep the cell activity and the RNA inside it from being degraded.
After exposure to air, it will quickly volatilize and biochemically form nitrogen into the air. Although direct contact with food does not produce toxic substances, it cannot be eaten anymore and is frozen.
The mystery of many foods is liquid nitrogen at -196°C. The frozen taste and coldness of the freezer are very different.
Liquid foods are generally used for more expensive foods, and dry ice is cheaper (lower cost, much less loss, but only -78.5 °C). The transportation industry uses dry ice for storage. Liquid nitrogen is liquid. Dry ice is solid. The seal will explode, causing great loss in the seal. If the western food shop and the expensive ice cream shop use dry ice for cooking, it would be too profitable.
In the case of liquid nitrogen, when the cells are thawed, the cell mechanism is directly ruptured due to the increase in the volume of water in the cells. It seems that this is really good for ice cream. It is said that the ice cream needs less bubbles inside, just like liquid nitrogen.